Re: [tycho-user] Why is Tycho manifest-first?

On 11-11-17 12:53 PM, Volker Wegert wrote:

Am 16.11.2011 um 20:57 schrieb Max Rydahl Andersen:
…manifest-first makes it much easier to migrate to from PDE-build
and still be able to work with Eclipse PDE without additional
overhead.

I'm new to both Maven and Tycho, so maybe I got this wrong - but as
far as I understand: If you've got a p2 repository you can install
stuff from, you can use it as a dependency in an MANIFEST.MF-first
build approach. If you're out for a Mavenistic pom.xml-first
approach, all dependencies need to be retrievable by Maven. This
would limit the usable dependencies to the projects already converted
to this approach, right?

Not exactly. Generating p2 metadata for artifacts built using pom-first
approach is a straightforward mechanical process and there is even an
experimental nexus plugin that does this transparently for pom-first
artifacts deployed to a nexus hosted repository.

Going the other way, i.e. converting p2 repository to maven, is a much
harder problem. It is probably impossible to to correct(!) p2->maven
conversion in all cases, but some approximation is likely possible in
most/all cases.

Igor

Back to the top