Re: [tm-dev] Terminal (was Re: Master branch is TM 3.7?)

On 2015-02-02, 3:02 AM, "Rob Stryker" <rstryker@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On 01/08/2015 04:42 AM, Doug Schaefer wrote:
>>
>> Now, if the tabs act like Views, that makes me wonder why we wouldn¹t
>> want a View per terminal. In the past, we¹ve implemented an Open
>> Terminal menu item on a Target/Remote Connection that always opened a
>> new view (which is why I tricked myself into thinking this was the
>> default behaviour). Seems like that would be even simpler.
>
>I believe I read another comment (either on list or in a jira, I forget)
>indicating they preferred tabs because having multiple views open for
>terminals to multiple systems will clog the workbench. I don't have a
>strong preference over 'tabs' vs  a dropdown to select the active
>terminal (similar to console), but I do agree that having each
>connection in its own view will lead to a very cluttered feel.

True. I wonder what the typical usage is. How many Terminals do users have
open anyway? I work with one remote machine at a time typically. Having
the Local terminal always open would be good too. Potentially it could get
messy, yes.

>I suppose maximum flexibility would be to allow behavior similar to
>console view, where there's a dropdown to select a console but you also
>have the ability to open a second view if you wish.

:). That¹s what the old terminal did. I actually like that as it¹s one
design language the user needs to learn to do Terminal and Console. I just
worry that it¹s not very discoverable like tabs are.

Interesting thought experiment - What¹s the difference between a Console
and a Terminal? I don¹t think it¹s that much.

Doug.

Back to the top