Re: [tm-dev] Terminal (was Re: Master branch is TM 3.7?)

Hi,

> True. I wonder what the typical usage is. How many Terminals do users have
> open anyway?

There are many different use cases out there, and connecting to a remote host via SSH or Telnet is just one of it. If you are connecting to a  partitioned system, probably with multiplexed consoles, you can have easily a lot of consoles/terminals. People wants to know which consoles are connected and active. Doing this in a stacked view, like the Eclipse Console view or the deprecated Terminal view, is a pain. Having each console opening in a separate view is not a solution either. People wants to control how many views they have and which consoles they want to see side by side.

I agree that we might approach the Terminal view from different ends and that there are different needs and preferences. Nobody ever said that the tabbed Terminals view is solving all issues, and the stacked approach isn't the perfect approach either. At the end, what's might be needed is a Terminals view that is capable of operating tabbed or stacked, and the user can configure each view instance individually, or globally via the Eclipse preferences.

>Having the Local terminal always open would be good too.

We do this in our product, so it can be achieved easily, but, this might be something each product builder sees different, so it should be the product builder's decision if or if not a Local terminal is always open or not.

Just my 2 cents.

Best regards, Uwe