Re: [technology-pmc] FW: ESE 2010: 1701 - Introduction to Sapphire has been declined

It was proposed as a long talk. My expectation is that the PC would try to
fill that and if not possible would work with proposers to see if the talk
can be compressed into a shorter time slot. That has been commonplace in
prior conferences.

The lack of transparency is very troubling to me as well. I would expect
more conversation to be taking place between PCs and submitters. My other
talk in the technology space (that one on showing broad applicability of
project facets) was also rejected. That was a short talk. Also no comments.

Besides the lack of transparency, what troubles me is that the conference
focus isn't designed to cover the Eclipse ecosystem as a whole, but is
rather heavily slanted towards hot and trendy topics of today. Might drive
attendance, but I would argue that it is detrimental to the health of the
ecosystem.

Here is the set of categories from this year. I don't know if they were
allocated equal share.

Eclipse 4.0
Embedded
Modeling
Runtime
Other / New & Noteworthy

Where is the rest of the tooling? Where is Eclipse 3.x platform?

I would recommend that at the very least in order to promote greater
community growth and health, a substantial chunk of the conference should be
devoted to emerging technologies without those having to compete with
established areas. As an attendee of past conferences, I found the best
value in hearing about the cool new things that I might otherwise not hear
about. In depth talks on established technologies were less valuable as I
was likely to have heard talks and/or read articles on them already. Lots of
talks on different angles of the same technology were more confusing then
valuable as it was difficult to tell from abstracts where overlaps were.

- Konstantin