Re: [technology-pmc] RE: Sapphire draft proposal

Am 15.06.2010 16:13, schrieb Mike Milinkovich:
> I have concerns about introducing another modeling framework. Personally, I
> am suspicious of the explanation that EMF is too general or too hard to
> learn. If you don't like EMF, wrap it with a DSL via Xtext. That certainly
> seems like a cheaper and more consistent solution than writing and
> *maintaining* a whole modeling framework.

+1

> We also seem to be growing a plethora of projects focused on simplifying
> client-side application construction (Riena, Scout).

Good catch. BTW, similar things happened in e4. Everybody wanted to
create a declarative UI framework. In the end, none of them will be part
of the Eclipse 4.0 SDK. As sombody said, it's another layer of cake you
add. The larger a cake gets the lesser people will be able to consume it
in its whole. But that's off-topic for the proposal discussion. Time
will show.

> This is an attempt to create a real Eclipse project, not a
> code dump, right?

I'm not to worried about this one. We do have a nice archiving policy.
We (Technology PMC) just do a poor job of using it...

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht
gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx