Re: [technology-pmc] RE: Sapphire draft proposal

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Mike Milinkovich
<mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I do have some worries, but ones which will have to be solved by the project
> once it's underway.

Same here, sorry for the delay in responding, Helios has me distracted.

> I have concerns about introducing another modeling framework. Personally, I
> am suspicious of the explanation that EMF is too general or too hard to
> learn. If you don't like EMF, wrap it with a DSL via Xtext. That certainly
> seems like a cheaper and more consistent solution than writing and
> *maintaining* a whole modeling framework.

I can only second this. As a person who has come up with his own
modeling framework only to start realize I was rewriting pieces of EMF
and then moving to EMF in frustration. Over the years, EMF has become
lean and mean with plans to make it more so when they start working on
a next generation of EMF. On top of that, this project has some shared
goals between the Presentation Modeling Framework (PMF) and GMP
Graphiti projects. Furthermore, if you use EMF, you can take advantage
of tools like Xtext for building DSL tools. I'm all for competition at
Eclipse, but we should do the best to cooperate and invest into the
great modeling ecosystem we have. Sure, there may be an investment in
using EMF within Sapphire, but I'm confident the modeling community
would work with you, just like they did with e4 when they switched to
EMF.

If you're concerned about exposing EMF to users, only expose the parts
of EMF that are relevant to developing user interfaces or develop a
DSL using Xtext.

> This is an attempt to create a real Eclipse project, not a code dump, right?

I don't think this is a code dump but would like to see the Sapphire
folks engage with some other projects to see if they can garner
interest and support.

Anyways, I'm excited to see this type of product quality code coming to Eclipse.

--
Cheers,

Chris Aniszczyk
http://aniszczyk.org