Re: [technology-pmc] RE: Sapphire draft proposal

On 6/15/10 10:13 AM, Mike Milinkovich wrote:
I actually don't have any comments on the proposal itself. As far as I am
concerned, it can go live with the edits proposed by Gunnar on the PMC
thread.

I do have some worries, but ones which will have to be solved by the project
once it's underway.

I have concerns about introducing another modeling framework. Personally, I
am suspicious of the explanation that EMF is too general or too hard to
learn. If you don't like EMF, wrap it with a DSL via Xtext. That certainly
seems like a cheaper and more consistent solution than writing and
*maintaining* a whole modeling framework.

We also seem to be growing a plethora of projects focused on simplifying
client-side application construction (Riena, Scout). Have you looked at
those projects as potential consumers of Sapphire?

I've had the same concerns since I read the proposal. In fact, this isn't the first proposal that's come in front of the PMC that I've had similar feelings about; I just didn't want to be a big nay-sayer or discourage developing project teams. But I do have a major concern about this kind of duplication. I'm not necessarily saying that Sapphire shouldn't move forward eventually; but I'd be much more supportive if there was evidence that the Sapphire team had engaged the EMF and other teams with which it has some overlap. In other words, make an effort to work with existing projects and technologies, and only after all parties agree that a totally new project is warranted, then move in that direction.

My personal opinion is that new project creation should only be initiated after engagement with existing projects has shown it to be the best direction. Although the Sapphire proposal tries to address the topic, there is no evidence that such engagement has taken place.

Eric

Back to the top