[technology-pmc] Striking fear

I like to think that the nicknames on the Technology PMC "leaders" page [1] are recognised as a lame attempt a humour. However, that may not be the case.

I have received a couple of emails that hint that some projects are concerned that we're starting some kind of campaign against them and that we are actively looking for projects to shut down. I do not believe that this is the case.

The efforts that I recently started to determine the status of the many Technology projects is aimed at helping the projects develop and mature. The main intent has been to highlight for the projects the things that they can and should be doing to develop a community around them. IMHO, an Eclipse project needs to be more than code; community development is an important part of what it means to be a successful Eclipse project. I blogged recently about why I think this is true.

Another thing that we've been doing is asking projects to start developing a plan for the future. Again, the intent is not to push projects out of the Technology Project, but rather to get them thinking about and doing the sorts of things that they need to be doing now to be prepared for a move later.

Your thoughts on this topic are welcome.

Wayne

[1]http://www.eclipse.org/technology/team-leaders.php

Back to the top