From: tcf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tcf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Oberhuber, Martin
Sent: Thursday, November 28, 2013 1:22 PM
To: TCF Development
Subject: Re: [tcf-dev] How to begin

Hello Stefan,

I think you would typically recompile the TCF Agent with a special service that connects to your controller: You take out all the services you don't need, and add services that you do want. That way, you can step-by-step increase the features that you can access via TCF.

A good starting point is the "daytime" example: It shows how to build a custom service on the C agent side, and hook up that service with Eclipse. The Daytime README for the agent is here:
https://git.eclipse.org/c/tcf/org.eclipse.tcf.agent.git/tree/examples/daytime/readme.txt

and here is the respective Eclipse Plugin:
https://git.eclipse.org/c/tcf/org.eclipse.tcf.git/tree/examples/org.eclipse.tcf.examples.daytime

You could, for instance, define a custom service to turn on and off a LED on your controller, just as an initial proof-of-concept.

In some sense, you can consider the TCF Agent as a collection of libraries which you could also link against your communication service directly if you have access to it's source code; or, you build a TCF Agent that runs as a separate process communicating with your service. The daytime Makefile should give you ideas how to compile various artifacts out of the TCF code.

If your goal is debugging, then providing a custom implementation of an existing well-defined TCF Service gives you the most value. Since that way you can use existing tools (the Eclipse TCF Debug UI, ...) to communicate with your new device. In this case, you would typically provide your custom implementation of the RunControl service first (suspend, resume your controller), then probably Registers Service or Memory Service. Assuming that your controller is single-threaded, the "context" stuff is probably very simple to do since there would only be one context all the time. The way you "override" original TCF implementations on the agent with custom implementations is similar to how the Daytime Makefile works (it's our way of "extension points" on the C side).

Let us know if you have any more questions. We strive making our homepage include all the necessary docs, but we appreciate people asking questions such that we can improve our docs to be relevant for what you're trying to do with TCF.

Thanks,
Martin
--
Martin Oberhuber, SMTS / Product Architect - Development Tools, Wind River
direct +43.662.457915.85  fax +43.662.457915.6