[swtbot-dev] Maven/Tycho vs Ant/PDE Troll (was Re: Moving build to Tycho)

Le 08/11/2010 19:34, Ketan Padegaonkar a écrit :
This is not a rant against you, I like you personally. I just don't like it when people I like, like maven :P

Based on some real life war stores, and some real scars to go along:

<really long maven rant>
</really long maven rant>

Most of the criticism you have against Maven do not apply to Tycho. Indeed, Tycho is not the master of your dependencies, you still have to specify them by yourself in a Manifest, and Tycho will use it to build a target platform that is OK for building your bundle.
The approach is fairly good. I maintain a build with Ant and I have to admit I am almost the only one who can work with it easily in our team, and that we spend a lot of time maintaining target platforms. I've done some work with Maven, and I really feel that the build is easier for everybody with Tycho.
The only difficulty is that Tycho does not allow you ugly hacks in builds. A legacy Ant-based build allows you to write very crappy scripts to solve some problems. Tycho forces you to get closer from the OSGi and Maven way. Writing crappy build with Tycho is almost impossible, so that basing the build on Tycho forces you to have a better quality.
Concretely, Tycho would not let you to have a Manifest.mf.eclipse35 and a Manifest.mf.eclipse36 in the same bundle with the manifest that is chosen according to a flag in the build. It would force you to leverage constaints in dependencies. And if you are really in need of such a hack, you can leverage profiles, that allow you to do ugly things, but in a more structured way.

You should give a try to Tycho. For example try building EGit/JGit, I think you'll for sure find it pretty straightforward and you'll understand how easy it is to get into the project thanks to it.

By the way, I think that the best way to convince you is to show you concrete results. I keep on working on that stuff, on once I am successful, I'll simply show you the result. Then you'll probably be more friendly with Tycho ;)

--

Mickael Istria
R&D Engineer

BonitaSoft - Open your processes
email : mickael.istria@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This message and any attachment (the "message") is intended solely for the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message by mistake, please delete it and notify the sender immediately. Any use not in accordance with its purpose, any out-spread or disclosure, either as a whole or partially, is prohibited except with formal approval. Internet cannot guarantee the integrity of this message, therefore BonitaSoft will not be liable for the message if modified.

Back to the top