[swtbot-dev] Moving build to Tycho

Hi all,

Since I get convinced by Pascal Rapicault and other folks at EclipseSummit that Tycho is a great build tool, I started some work on SWTBot to move the build to Tycho.
Tycho allow bundles to be built separately, and then reaggregated in a feature or a p2 repository. Moreover, it is easy to leverage several target platforms and to build and test bundles against different releases of Eclipse.

The benefits of such a move would be:
* Easy to kick a build: "mvn clean install".
* Easy to modify code and see tests and results immediatly.
* Easy to tweak build. Since it is Maven, anyone who want to tweak the build can do it in the Maven way, which is far more easy to understand than hacking ant scripts.
* More community around Tycho. Tycho is rising, more and more people use it, it is easy to get help if necessary
* Tycho is Maven, then it is really easy to integrate it in CI tools such as Hudson.
All that stuff makes the project easier to tweak and to build. Newcomers to SWTBot will have less pain to work on bugfixes and so on. It will for sure be a step forward in increasing the SWTBot contributors community.
Moreover, if we succeed to have SWTBot building and testing on a very repeatable way, we can easily integrate the release build in the hudson.eclipse.org, and that would be a great move towards integration of SWTBot in an Eclipse release train...

When I tried to move to Tycho with the help of Pascal during ESE, I faced the problem reported on bug 329436, which is a hacky way to resolve the issue of dependency management against different versions of Eclipse. I reversed some of these dependencies to solve the issue in a more OSGi-friendly way, leveraging optional dependencies and contrained versions. I can get it working in dev-mode, but I did not try to kick a build yet. Now it seems that there is no more need of hacking the MANIFEST files and so on, so that I can start trying Tycho. I'll give you some results ASAIGET (as soon as I get enough time). Any help is welcome on this topic.

What do you think of such a move? I personnally think it is a great way to facilitate development of SWTBot and to gather more people around the project. Do you agree with it?

Mickael Istria
R&D Engineer

BonitaSoft - Open your processes
email : mickael.istria@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This message and any attachment (the "message") is intended solely for the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message by mistake, please delete it and notify the sender immediately. Any use not in accordance with its purpose, any out-spread or disclosure, either as a whole or partially, is prohibited except with formal approval. Internet cannot guarantee the integrity of this message, therefore BonitaSoft will not be liable for the message if modified.

Back to the top