Re: [stp-pmc] subprojects or components?

In-inline

Oisin Hurley wrote:
Hi all,
I've been having a conversation with Bjorn about what we term the STP
'sub-projects' and it appears to me that the term 'sub-project' as we
have been using it does not quite jibe with the Eclipse Foundation use
of the term.

In the official parlance, a 'sub-project' is an entity that
requires separate reporting, releases and committer lists, but in actual
fact we've not enforced these practices,

that is my understanding.

for example favoring a more
flexible approach where an STP committer can commit to any piece of the
project. This has proved to be a practical approach.

yes, practical but not scalable. I think it would be useful for STP to get into the practice
of running sub-projects if it is going to incubate other sub-projects.

The implication is that what we have been extending and maintaining is in
actuality a set of 'components' that compose the overall project.

STP needs to be providing frameworks that other sub-projects plug into, goal is to be extensible and for anyone to be able to create an exemplary impls (including STP) that use
the frameworks.

Looking at the proposal you sent for incubator they all need to contain the framework and
exemplary impls components.

Carl.

Back to the top