Re: [stp-pmc] PROPOSAL: SOA Tools Platform Incubator Sub-Project

Hi Carl,
To answer your questions...

On 30 May 2007, at 15:18, Carl Trieloff wrote:

Will the incubator have one or more projects. What are those projects currently- i.e. do they map to the components?

In Eclipse terms, the incubator will be a sub-project of STP. The components in the incubator will effectively be sub-projects too I think - they will
have their own committers and leads, and set their schedules.

How do the companies map to those projects?

I think we can be flexible here. In the current situation, we have multiple
closely-related offerings, so it makes sense to have committers from >1
company working on project. For example, a JBI incubator project would
may have committers from IONA, Bull, EBM Websourcing, SOPERA.

Which components are there contributions lined up for? What is the scope of each project - I would like to see a definition for each project in the Incubator under STP as something that stands on it own.

+1, absolutely.

With an incubator you need to be able to kill a project is if fails without affecting other projects in the incubator. Thus I think each project in the incubator needs its own proposal, list of companies and contributions. The incubator need a separate proposal that clearly states what role it will take in incubating its projects, and how the incubator will be run. Without such detail upfront it will degenerate, any project that joins the STP incubator has to clearly understand what it is signing up for. Also STP has to clearly understand what its responsibilities are to the projects it is incubating. Metrics also need to be set up for when a project can graduate, these should be in the incubator proposal.

+1

The proposal for the incubator seems general, but then the details seem JBI specific. Any project proposal should cover how it will integrated into the SCA/STP model, how it will integrate with the rest of STP etc.

A statement of integration would certainly be important, and would be required to meet the foundations definition of relevance to the top-level project.

Hope that helps, fire me a copy of the next draft and I will try to provide comments in short order.

Yes it does indeed help, thanks Carl. I will write in these details tomorrow
and send it out an updated draft.

 best regards
  Oisin

Back to the top