[stp-pmc] Java 5 / Java 1.4.2

I'm hitting the dev and the pmc list here, because this is important. Java 1.4.2 is heading towards EOL, and we have in STP a number of project elements that are dependent on Java 5 to operate (i.e. the Eclipse process will need
to be run in a Java 5 JVM).

Does anyone hold a strong opinion that we should support 1.4.2 JVMs?

Or indeed do they hold a strong opinion that we should not?

My proposal is that we continue to support only Java 5 code, and
drop any requirement for living in a 1.4.2 JVM. There are a number
of reasons for this -

 * Some subprojects require Java 5 as they deal with annotations, and
it would be desirable that the entire project could be downloaded rather
than prospective users having to pick through it to see which piece they
want and its compatibility status.

 * Going Java 5 only would simplify the build process and allow us to
update all the code to either use generics, or at least to add @Suppress
to remove raw type warnings (then we can see the errors in the logs).

 * Going Java 5 only would allow us to use the latest versions of
technologies that we require, like EMF 2.3

 comments?

 --oh

Back to the top