[stem-dev] Re: builds

Yossi,
I'll take a look. One solution we might look at is to separate the build process such that it produces two artifacts. 1) the platform specific RCP, and 2) a feature with the platform independent data sets as plug-ins.

The data sets are making each download file so large. They're all identical for each platform so maybe it's time to separate them. The only issue I see is that users would need to do an "update" step before they would have a system that could do anything.

Another advantage of this approach is that we could create a third artifact to update which would be plug-ins with sample projects and maintain them on an update site. I'm not sure quite how to do that given that projects are not "plug-ins", per se, and are typically imported from zip files that are external to the RCP/Eclipse. I guess we could define a "project extension point," but I'm not sure about that one....maybe in combination with "cheat sheets."

Dan

Inactive hide details for Yossi Mesika---05/20/2009 04:54:00 AM---Yes, I think there should be a single product file for all plYossi Mesika---05/20/2009 04:54:00 AM---Yes, I think there should be a single product file for all platforms as otherwise we will have to ma

          Yossi Mesika/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL

          05/20/2009 04:53 AM

Stefan Edlund/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS@IBMDE

cc

Daniel Ford/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS, James Kaufman/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS

Subject

Re: buildsDaniel Ford
Yes, I think there should be a single product file for all platforms as otherwise we will have to maintain multiple version each time we change configuration (e.g. adding a new plugin).
You are right about the missing fragments for Linux so my suggestion is to have it all there. An Eclipse with DeltaPack installed should have all the fragments for all platforms and that is the eclipse that should be used for the build.

I changed the stem.product to hold both and ran the build. I tested the result on Windows and Linux 32bit (virtual machine) and it works.
So I would like to ask your assistance by downloading the 64bit from STEM download site and see if it works on your machine. I don't have this environment here.

Dan, Will you please download the STEM for Mac OSX and let me know if it works fine? Is the Carbon distribution needed? We are starting to have too many files and each is huge.

(See attached file: stem.product)

Thanks,
Yossi.
____________________________
Yossi Mesika
IT for Healthcare & Life Science
IBM Research Labs in Haifa
Tel: 972-4-8296229
E-mail: mesika@xxxxxxxxxx

Inactive hide details for Stefan Edlund---20/05/2009 01:28:16---Thanks, yes that did get rid of the original expection. HoweverStefan Edlund---20/05/2009 01:28:16---Thanks, yes that did get rid of the original expection. However, I see another exception now: I got

Stefan Edlund/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS

Yossi Mesika/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL@IBMDE

Daniel Ford/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS, James Kaufman/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS

20/05/2009 01:28

Re: builds

Thanks, yes that did get rid of the original expection. However, I see another exception now:

[attachment "1242770849786.log" deleted by Yossi Mesika/Haifa/IBM]

I got the same problem if I run build.sh or if I do it manually running the Eclipse Product Export wizard.

However, I fixed it by opening stem.product on my 64 bit linux machine and looked at the Configuration, Plug-ins and fragments. It shows red X's for plugins like "org.eclipse.core.filesystem.win32.x86" which is expected on a Linux machine. So I selected "Add Required Plug-ins" and it added a bunch of new plugins like "org.eclipse.core.filesystem.linux.x86_64" etc. Now I was able to do an export and start STEM.

So is the idea to have one stem.product file for all platforms (Mac, Linux 32/64, Windows)? If that works I'm okay with that, it would simplify things.
Here is my changed stem.product file:

[attachment "stem.product" deleted by Yossi Mesika/Haifa/IBM]

Cheers,
/ Stefan

Stefan Edlund
Public Health and Computer Science Research
IBM Almaden Research Center
(408) 927-1766 edlund@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Inactive hide details for Yossi Mesika---05/19/2009 10:07:26 AM---Hi Stefan, I think I encountered it once under Windows and chYossi Mesika---05/19/2009 10:07:26 AM---Hi Stefan, I think I encountered it once under Windows and changing the stem.product to generate a d

          Yossi Mesika/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL

          05/19/2009 10:07 AM

Stefan Edlund/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS@IBMDE

cc

Daniel Ford/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS, James Kaufman/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS

Subject

Re: buildsMail
Hi Stefan,
I think I encountered it once under Windows and changing the stem.product to generate a default config.ini file solved the problem.
When you open the stem.product you can find it under Configuration->Configuration File->Linux
So I did set it to default on Linux/MaxOSX and hopefully it will remove the error message below after building again. Please update from CVS.
It's difficult for me to test it as I don't have Linux/MaxOSX environment handy.

Also, you mentioned that stemLinux.product aren't updated with the list of plugins for the build. It actually not being used when running the build.
stem.product has the configuration for all platforms.

Thanks,
Yossi.
____________________________
Yossi Mesika
IT for Healthcare & Life Science
IBM Research Labs in Haifa
Tel: 972-4-8296229
E-mail: mesika@xxxxxxxxxx

Inactive hide details for Stefan Edlund---16/05/2009 02:35:34---Thanks, I was able to run the builds on one of the Linux machinStefan Edlund---16/05/2009 02:35:34---Thanks, I was able to run the builds on one of the Linux machines, and I added the Linux 64 configur

Stefan Edlund/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS

Yossi Mesika/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL@IBMDE

Daniel Ford/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS, James Kaufman/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS

16/05/2009 02:35

Re: builds

Thanks, I was able to run the builds on one of the Linux machines, and I added the Linux 64 configuration (not checked in yet).

However, both Linux builds (32 and 64 bit) are broken still, I get this error launching STEM in the log file. I'll try and figure it out why, if you have any clue let me know.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2009-05-15 16:32:55.179
!MESSAGE Application error
!STACK 1
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to acquire application service. Ensure that the org.eclipse.core.runtime bundle is resolved and started (see config.ini).
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:74)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:386)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:37)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:549)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:504)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1236)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1212)

Thanks!
/ Stefan

Stefan Edlund
Public Health and Computer Science Research
IBM Almaden Research Center
(408) 927-1766 edlund@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Inactive hide details for Yossi Mesika---05/14/2009 06:14:57 AM---Hi All, For the weekly build I'm running the build script on Yossi Mesika---05/14/2009 06:14:57 AM---Hi All, For the weekly build I'm running the build script on a machine in HRL. therefore, due to sec

          Yossi Mesika/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL

          05/14/2009 06:14 AM

Stefan Edlund/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS@IBMDE

cc

Daniel Ford/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS, James Kaufman/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS

Subject

Re: buildsMail
Hi All,

For the weekly build I'm running the build script on a machine in HRL. therefore, due to security, I won't be able to let you run the script on this specific machine.
However, if you wish to configure your own build server, here are the instructions for doing so:
    1. Checkout from CVS the plugin called org.eclipse.ohf.stem.releng
    2. Place this plugin directory, with the files in it, in your home directory of the build server
    3. If necessary, make build.sh executable by running the command chmod +x build.sh
    4. Copy the file local.sh-template into local.sh
    5. Edit it and:
      1. Specify the location of your Java SDK
      2. Specify the location of the Eclipse home. This eclipse should have BIRT (with all its prerequisites plugins) and Eclipse Delta Pack.
    6. Should be it. Run the build.sh

Please let me know if you need assistance with it.
____________________________
Yossi Mesika
IT for Healthcare & Life Science
IBM Research Labs in Haifa
Tel: 972-4-8296229
E-mail: mesika@xxxxxxxxxx

Inactive hide details for Stefan Edlund---11/05/2009 20:55:33---Hi Yossi, the integration build on the web site is from 5/3. ThStefan Edlund---11/05/2009 20:55:33---Hi Yossi, the integration build on the web site is from 5/3. There's been some bug fixes that I want

Stefan Edlund/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS

Yossi Mesika/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL

James Kaufman/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS, Daniel Ford/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS

11/05/2009 20:55

builds

Hi Yossi, the integration build on the web site is from 5/3. There's been some bug fixes that I wanted to get up there. Is it possible to increase the frequency we publish the builds? Ideally, a new build every day and a "stable" build every week or so?

Also, it would be great if one of us could publish a build when you're not around, so if you could send us instructions on how to do that it would be great.
Thanks!
/ Stefan

Stefan Edlund
Public Health and Computer Science Research
IBM Almaden Research Center
(408) 927-1766 edlund@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

GIF image

GIF image