Re: [stellation-res] Downloads area reorganized: libraries required by Stellation are now available

On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 10:28:07AM -0500, Jim Wright - IBM Research wrote:
> At 05:50 PM 12/5/2002, David Shields wrote:
> >Jim,
> >
> >Re library downloads, could you please rename download names for log4j and
> >jakarta-oro to be log4j.jar and jakarta-oro.jar? We
> >should use the same names in install.html and our web site.
>
> Dave,
>
> I just looked at the downloads page again (index.html).
>
> It lists "Log4J'" as the library name, and "log4j-1.2.5.jar" as the
> downloadable binary.
> Jakarta-ORO and the other libraries are handled the same way.
>
> I think it would be confusing to show this as:
>          Library         Binary Code
>          log4j.jar               log4j-1.2.5.jar
>
> because it makes it sound like "log4j.jar" is an actual binary file - not
> the case.
>
> Also -- since Xerces is actually two jars currently, I thought it was more
> clear to use
> "Xerces" as the library name and then list the two jars explicitly under
> binary code.
>
> I agree the same names should be used in install.html and the web site.
> If you want to change install.html to use the full jar name -- e.g.
> "log4j-1.2.5.jar"
> -- I'll be happy to change the downloads page to only show that name.
> In that case, I'll probably drop the 'Library" column from the table,
> keeping the
> 'Binary Code' column.
>
> Conversely, you could use "Log4J" in install.html; this has the advantage
> of reducing
> document maintenance if/when we change to a later revision of log4j -- if
> that happens,
> we only need to change the 'Binary Code' entry on the downloads page, and
> install.html
> can rest in peace.
>
> Please let me know which tack you want to take, for both consistency and
> clarity.
>
> - JIm
>

> >There is no need for postgres jdbc. It's not needed when doing client
> >install, and server install can always link to the copy of
> >the jdbc driver that must be present on the machine. It's really a bug that
> >postgres...jar mentioned in install document; it should only be
> >mentioned in the postgresql configuration document. I'll fix this soon.
>
> Hmm.  I guess I need to check whether the Stellation CM client can be built
> without *any* JDBC driver present -- I seem to recall that the build failed
> when I removed the postgres jar from my class path, some months back.
> I''ll check.

Jim,

I just checked in following changes:

-- change "Binary Code" to "Jar"
-- avoid use of version numbers in jakarta-oro and log4j
-- updated log4j.jar to be version 1.2.7 (what was there had
   wrong md5 checksum)
-- change version number of jdom from 0.0.8 to b8

so same names used in scripts, install documentation and website.

By the way, I am able to compile to core without postgres jdbc.jar in the classpath.
Could you check that you can compile Eclipse stuff without this jar? If so, we can
delete the entry for postgres jar from the downloads section.

thanks
dave

--
Dave Shields, IBM Research, shields@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.