Re: [stellation-res] checkin - core consolidation, using Ant to install/build

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 11:22:18AM -0500, Jim Wright - IBM Research wrote:
> Dave,
>
> While syncing with CVS this morning, I noticed that you've created a file,
> 'build.xml', in org.eclipse.stellation.core.  Previously, the build.xml (and
> install.xml) used for command-line-related tasks were kept in
> org.eclipse.stellation.misc.
>
> Putting your build.xml  in stellation.core creates an unfortuate name clash.
> Eclipse uses and creates 'build.xml' files for its own Ant-related tasks
> (including packaging a set of plugins into an installable 'Eclipse Feature'.
>   I'm planning to deploy most or all of our Eclipse components that way; I
> have it more-or-less working now on our internal 'svc' server, and plan to
> post it on eclipse.org as soon as we have a relatively stable build again
> (and have hopefully worked out the 3rd-party-jar permissions issues).
>
> As it happens Eclipse typically  generates the build.xml file automatically,
> and I've found that it's good practice to blow away the build.xml file
> before building a packaged Feature
> (because Eclipse doesn't always detect stale build.xml files).  So, the name
> clash (your build.xml vs. the Eclipse build.xml) isn't fatal; but it's
> likely to cause confusion (and/or break the Feature build process on occasion).
>
> Could we go back to keeping the files related to the command-line build and
> install process in stellation.misc?  That would avoid the problem described;
> I will cheerfully promise not to tromple on stellation.misc :>

It is ludicrous to have the ant build file for the core in misc. The files for
the core should be in a single directory, not scattered about in two directories.

I also find it strange that Eclipse should make it impossible to use 'build.xml' for
the Ant build file.

In any event, I have added a new file, build-core.xml, to be used for building
the core. You can edit, or remove, the core build.xml file as you think best.

I've also checked in updated lib.xml, install.xml and doc/install.html.

dave

--
Dave Shields, IBM Research, shields@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Back to the top