Re: [stellation-res] checkin - core consolidation, using Ant to install/build

Dave,

While syncing with CVS this morning, I noticed that you've created a file,
'build.xml', in org.eclipse.stellation.core.  Previously, the build.xml (and
install.xml) used for command-line-related tasks were kept in
org.eclipse.stellation.misc.

Putting your build.xml  in stellation.core creates an unfortuate name clash.
Eclipse uses and creates 'build.xml' files for its own Ant-related tasks
(including packaging a set of plugins into an installable 'Eclipse Feature'.
 I'm planning to deploy most or all of our Eclipse components that way; I
have it more-or-less working now on our internal 'svc' server, and plan to
post it on eclipse.org as soon as we have a relatively stable build again
(and have hopefully worked out the 3rd-party-jar permissions issues).

As it happens Eclipse typically  generates the build.xml file automatically,
and I've found that it's good practice to blow away the build.xml file
before building a packaged Feature
(because Eclipse doesn't always detect stale build.xml files).  So, the name
clash (your build.xml vs. the Eclipse build.xml) isn't fatal; but it's
likely to cause confusion (and/or break the Feature build process on occasion).

Could we go back to keeping the files related to the command-line build and
install process in stellation.misc?  That would avoid the problem described;
I will cheerfully promise not to tromple on stellation.misc :>

Thanks,

Jim

At 05:01 PM 11/26/2002, Dave Shields wrote:
On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 05:54:30PM -0500, Dave Shields wrote:
> I have consolidated a number of files in the core component, such as tests, scripts > and documentation formerly in misc (the misc stuff is still there, but will be deleted
> shortly).

I've just checked in updated build.xml, install.xml, lib.xml, and new stellation.properties.
I also updated test/build.xml so it can the tests remotely.

--
Jim Wright, IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
*** The Stellation project: Advanced SCM for Collaboration

Back to the top