Re: [stellation-res] Stellation status

On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 09:47, Jonathan Gossage wrote:
> My plan is to use Stellation as a text repository with version control
> for storing XML documents in many languages. Correct handling of Asian
> languages is a must. I'm trying to standardize on UTF-8 encoding, but
> anything can show up.

Unfortunately. most work in East Asian languages seems to be in DBCS
character sets rather than in Unicode variants and if the documents already
exist it will be much easier from a logisitical viewpoint to handle them in
their original encoding. You will also have to look at the problems of
distribution and the tools that may be used to consume these documents.
The company that hired me has tools to manage all kind of documents and convert them to XML with UTF-8 encoding. I want to use Stellation as a version control system for those UTF-8 documents only. However, I would like to be prepared to handle more formats just in case.

I am currently working for a company that sells services/software for translations. They have the know-how to handle localizations, double byte issues and lot of details that will arise when I try to setup Stellation. As a matter of fact, I feel that I spent more time learning from them than developing.
Regards,
Rodolfo

Back to the top