Re: [stellation-res] checkin - core consolidation, using Ant to install/build

On Sun, 2002-11-24 at 13:50, Dave Shields wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 05:54:30PM -0500, Dave Shields wrote:
> > I have consolidated a number of files in the core component, such as tests, scripts
> > and documentation formerly in misc (the misc stuff is still there, but will be deleted
> >
> > If you want to play with this, check out latest core, and fire up your
> > browser on doc/index.html, open doc/install.html, and hack away.
> >

> By the way, I've just checked in change that moves library-related install work
> to new file lib.xml, mainly to make install.xml simpler. lib.xml is needed due
> to eclipse.org constraint we cannot download files on the user's behalf. lib.xml
> is probably overkill, and I will try to simplify it soon, and the presence of
> all that lib-related stuff in install.xml made it hard to work with. install.xml
> now much smaller, so it should be easier to add -- and to understand -- upcoming
> changes, including port to Windows.

Just to clarify: this isn't an Eclipse issue; it's a general legal
issue. The person who first pointed it out to us was someone from the
Jikes mailing list, not someone from Eclipse.

It is generally considered legally questionable to provide a direct,
unacknowledged link that directly retrieves a resource from someone
else's computer without their permission to set up that link. It can
be interpreted as stealing resources from their computer, under certain
American laws. There have, in fact, been lawsuits over this. So even if
we weren't an Eclipse subproject, we wouldn't be able to provide scripts
that do this.

	-Mark

--
Mark Craig Chu-Carroll,  IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
*** The Stellation project: Advanced SCM for Collaboration

Back to the top