Re: [soc-dev] Eclipse Kapua: IoT gateway simulation project idea

Hello Anastasiya,

that really sounds like an interesting simulation model. Far more fun than wind parks :)

So I doubt that any student has ever worked with Kapua or Kura. So that shouldn't be an issue at all. I would recommend however to have some idea about the Java language.

As a first step I would suggest to take a look at the Kupaua GitHub repository [1] and see if you can build and maybe run Kapua based on the "Docker" approach. Next have a look at the Kura simulator [2], which has now moved inside Kapua [3] and familiarize yourself with it, because this could be the tool to hook up your simulation model with Kapua. You don't have to understand the details by yourself, that is what the mentors are for.

Working with open source software is rather easy. Learn from the code of others, pay attention when re-using, attribute your sources and finally share your results. Oh .. and if a tools is not working as expected, its your fault because you didn't fix it ;-)

If you run into any problems, have question or need more information, just let me know. I am here to help. You can also reach out to the Kapua mailing list [4].

All the best

Jens

[1] https://github.com/eclipse/kapua
[2] https://github.com/ctron/kura-simulator