Re: [rt-pmc] PMC call today

Sorry for being MIA there. I was traveling this week and I had the opportunity to wake up without screaming kids, so I ended up sleeping in and missing the 6:00am PMC call :-).

As Tom mentioned, the submission deadline is Monday Nov 19th, so if you haven't submitted your talk, now would be a good time. Gunnar has put in an RT Tutorial which looks pretty cool [1].

[1] http://www.eclipsecon.org/2013/sessions/dynamic-server-applications-eclipsert

As for our panel, I've gone over the abstract once more. We talked about the panel on the PC call, and we can hopefully secure an end-of-day slot (which are slightly longer). Ian S is using these slots for Panels, Symposiums, etc... Since I'm on the PC, I'm not sure if I should submit the talk or not.  If someone else would like to, feel free (just let us know), otherwise I'll submit it on Monday.

<snip>
Eclipse RT Panel: Are we serving the needs of the community?

Since the creation of the Eclipse Rich Client Platform (RCP) and the adoption of Equinox and OSGi in 2004, interest in and use of Eclipse technologies in runtime scenarios has been steadily increasing.  The EclipseRT project was designed to foster, promote and house these runtime efforts.

By a variety of measures EclipseRT has been a resounding success. EclipseRT projects are the backbone of many organizations, powering the world's leading web containers such as Websphere, large infrastructure projects such as Google App Engine and Yahoo’s Hadoop Cluster and even underlying the day to day activities of the astronauts on the International Space Station.

However, even with all the success, EclipseRT still suffers from an identity crisis. What classifies a project as ‘RT’?  What common themes do all RT projects have? What do you expect from RT? What components are missing from RT and most importantly; is the Eclipse Runtime Project failing the community by not providing an expected completely integrated stack of software for building applications on, or is it just a useful organizational construct for projects that would otherwise have no home under the existing Eclipse structure?

In this panel, EclipseRT committers will address these issues as well as topics presented by the audience to hopefully improve the state of Eclipse Runtime Technologies and better serve the Eclipse community.
</snip>

Cheers,
Ian