RE: [rt-pmc] EclipseRT white paper draft 2

Ian,

I do not believe this paper in its current form does much to clarify what RT is or how to get started with it. The scope touches too many technologies trying to tie them together without any real explanation in many cases. From an EclipseLink perspective there are no concrete usage examples illustrating to readers not familiar with the project what it does and how they might use it.

Some suggestions:

1. Reduce the quantity of Eclipse projects/technologies in this paper so that more specific usage can be explained.

2. Avoid vague statements that do little to explain what the technologies are or how they are used together:
  • SOA: - "The platform nature of EclipseRT means that SOAs built on Swordfish can also use other EclipseRT components such as EclipseLink and BIRT for the usual enterprise application needs.
3. The SOA Swordfish section is interesting but something I would consider leaving out. If the SOA angle is to remain we should highlight how some other projects can be used in this space independently of Swordfish as well as with Swordfish. As one example EclipseLink SDO offers the reference implementation of Service Data Objects allowing services to easily pass structured data between them crossing service and programming language boundaries. This infrastructure is leveraged with the Swordfish project but could be used in any SOA development efforts as I am sure other common technologies in the covered projects could be.

4. Some statements that I am not sure I understand:
  • At the end of the Platforms section there is the statement - "The management services available in EclipseRT, such as p2, EclipseLink, and Swordfish gives IT the ability to deploy and then maintain applications built on the platform." I am unsure what is being implied here about available management services of these projects
  • In the web Applications sections - "And, of course, Jetty is tightly integrated with the rest of EclipseRT, such as the Eclipse Rich Ajax Platform, EclipseLink and Equinox.".  Is this true? I believe Jetty can run as bundles on top of Equinox but I am unsure of the other tight integrations and the statement could be misinterpreted to indicate required dependencies.
5. Adding EclipseLink specific usage context. I believe the common infrastructure projects that span Desktop, Web, SOA, Enterprise, ... usage may need to be given more contextual usage and explanation so that they do not stick out as just name droppings in the paper. BIRT, ECF, EclipseLink, can be used in all of these architectures which makes it tough to explain what it is and how a customer can use it. I would recommend calling out a common infrastructure section where some of these can be highlighted.

To give EclipseLink some coverage where a reader could better understand what it is and when they may want to consider using it I would highlight:
  • EclipseLink provides developers with a set of persistence services allowing them to access their application's required data in many sources and formats using a mapping approach based on common persistence standards.
    • EclipseLink JPA provides support for mapping their application's domain using either Java Objects or EMF models to relational data stores.
    • EclipseLink MOXy provides a flexible mapping solution for easily incorporating XML  into your application development simplifying service interaction using XML payloads, XML storage solutions, and future proofing you application handling multiple XML schemas and versions.
    • EclipseLink SDO provides the industry standard for handling Service Data Object manipulation in Java. This allows services (SOA) to more easily manage dynamic data structures without requiring coupling to the service implementation.
    • In addition to providing these persistence services which can be individually used EclipseLink provides support for easily combining them together to address more complex persistence requirements. Examples include shared domain models being stored to multiple data sources and marshaled with multiple XML representations as well as integrated SOA data transport with relational storage as illustrated in Swordfish's uses of EclipseLink SDO with JPA.
I hope this helps,

Doug