Re: [rt-pmc] ECF review slides

Hi Jeff,

Jeff McAffer wrote:
In general if you have API it should not break from release to release. If a potential API is not complete of does not have high confidence at release time it should be declared as provisional as in the case of 119. Since provisional API is not API changing it is not breaking.

It would be interesting to know if there is real API that you know now you want to break in the next release. If so, there should be early warning (perhaps deprecation) for consumers.

We already have deprecated osgi API...precisely to do this early warning. It's not our API, but of course our API depends upon it. So I think we're already there.

In the end it comes down to the contract with the community. If you are confident in the contract then declare it API and don't break it. If not it is provisional or deprecated. Either way, moving major version numbers sends a rather significant message to the community.

My point is just that we/I don't know...for some parts of ECF...what the community needs are going to be. I agree that moving major version numbers sends a significant message to the community...but I think the other way is true too...i.e. moving only minor version numbers also sends a message...and depending upon the target community either message could be the 'right' one.

In any event, I've removed 4.0 from the slides so there's nothing etched in stone.

Scott

Back to the top