Re: [rt-pmc] Need to address our must-dos for RT projects

Hi Jeff and Thomas,

A couple of points to add here

1) Although I also love bugzilla for other things, I frankly don't think it's well suited to this (checking off must dos). I know it's familiar...but *sometimes* familiarity breeds contempt ;-). 2) Although I agree that we all want quality out of a simultaneous release I don't think that the current Galileo must-dos and process put forword by the current planning council (or whoever) is a particularly effective way to get there. More effective, IMHO, would be some actual scheduled integration testing and explicit coordinated install/update/deployment testing prior to release...but of course I'm quite aware about the difficult history here with the Foundation/Board/PMCs/dev process/resources/insular teams, etc. 3) My purpose here isn't to defeat quality...but I think that there is an assumption (in my mind questionable), that having a list of must-dos, can-dos, etc. is actually a good way (or even the best way that's doable with our current structure) to achieve the desired quality with the resources available. I'm not so sure of that...especially for relatively small projects. Frankly, the approach seems way biased toward the resources and needs of the large projects. That is, isn't it possible to raise the bar in other, perhaps more effective ways? 4) RE: the time to mark bugs as resolved...of course I wasn't being literal about 1 hour...but I think the real point here is 'death by a thousand cuts'...or perhaps 'exasperation by a thousand cuts' is more accurate.

Anyway...'nuff said. I know this isn't something to solve within the RT PMC alone...but I think it's still worth saying.

Scott

Jeff McAffer wrote:
FWIW if there are a lot of the items completed perhaps there is a bulk edit operation that can be done to mark them all as done.

Personally I like the bugzilla approach. We are all used to bugzilla. you can query to find outstanding ones and pretty easily track issues related to the must dos

Unfortunately, I am also in favor of raising the bar. What seems like pedantic trivialities to us can be major issues for consumers. Just the other day I went to consume a few different project outputs and after >1 hour of me and another experienced committer sitting side by side we were not able to figure out how to get what was needed (or indeed what was actually needed). Consistency is next to consumability :-)

Having said that, we all feel the pain. Please bear with it and help produce a quality Galileo release that people can easily use.

Jeff

Thomas Watson wrote:

Thanks Scott,

I've been going through the pain myself for the Equinox project. I'm not sure the actual clicking and resolving the bug reports is the issue. I certainly hope that does not take you hours to do! If you are in compliance then simply check off each bug as resolved. To me the issue is the list of things on the Must Do list. This seems to have raised the bar for this release of the train. In particular the capabilities must do has been greatly debated.

For me I think having some form of check list is appropriate so that we at least document what is required to be a part of the train. We currently choose to use bugzilla for that. Do you suggest we use some other mechanism for the check list or simply getting rid of any mandatory check list in order to participate in the train?

Tom

Inactive hide details for Scott Lewis ---03/04/2009 11:36:52 AM---Hi Thomas,Scott Lewis ---03/04/2009 11:36:52 AM---Hi Thomas,