[riena-dev] Discussion - Mandatory Markers

I'm currently working on the 2nd iteration of the mandatory markers. See
updated the Marker example for details.

Below are a few things I would like to point out and discuss:

1. I've disabled the mandatory decoration for widget/ridgets where it
does not make sense: toggle-, push-, single-check-, single-radio
buttons. This is similar to the Swing implementation. In Riena these are
all handled by the ToggleRidget. Note that the programmer can still add
mandatory markers to a toggle ridget, but those are automatically
disabled. Alternatively we could throw a runtime exception
(OperationNotSupported).

2. For Tables, Trees and Trees with columns the mandatory marker will
enable when there is no selection. This is different than the swing
implementation, where the mandatory marker is ignored. Should I change
the Riena implementation to have the same behavior (i.e. ignore the
marker)?

3. The Combo widget ("Age:" in the example) is problematic on Windows,
because the background color cannot be changed. The result is that the
user cannot see when the widget is mandatory and when not (see attached
image). I believe that we should come up with a solution for this. I
tried painting a yellow border around the Combo. This works, but I am
not very happy with it, because the yellow color is hard to see against
the light cyan widget. Any better (and practical) ideas?

Looking forward to your comments,
Elias.