Re: [ptp-user] New PTP user with Synchronization issues

On Thursday, June 14, 2012 12:00:10 Dale Davis wrote:

> The other problem is that I'm using egit on the local machine - and it sees

> all of the these files, including .gitingore and .ptp-sync contents, as

> changed files, along with some of those I missed in the filter.   So if I

> do a "team synchronize" to see the collection of potential files to add and

> commit, there are dozens and more directories and files listed.  And, the

> files I'm really interested in are lost in the noise.   I don't know how to

> get "git" to ignore them.  I've tried adding the info/exclude file to the

> source git repository, but it didn't seem to effect "egit".

Hi Dale,

after some contemplation I am adding some remarks - not being convinced that they help in your case.

Regarding Egit, you may use "Add to Git index" among the tools icons (provided you used Window->Customize Perspective->Command Groups Availability and ticked "git") or from project->team->Add to Index to mark a file for the next commit. Then when you try to commit, some files are already marked. This corresponds to "git add <file_or_directory>" in the git command line version.

When you get to the screen "Commit Changes to the Repository", there are three small icons below the field for the committer. If you click on the left of them (marked with "?"), you can make the untracked files - like .ptp-sync .project disappear from the list.

This is for Egit, but you have similar problems when using command line git (which eventually shows that this is not really an Eclipse problem). If you issue "git status" on the command line, you get the same list of untracked files spluttering on your bash screen. I found that it helps to group untracked files (like *.o, *.mod for Fortran90) in separate directories wherever possible.

I never used "team synchronize". Presumably this is doing much, e.g. adding too many files to the git commit ? Meanwhile I have the strategy to keep

.[c]project (and such) off the git repository.

I gave a presentation at ScicomP 2012, where I touched some of those issues. I am a user, not a tool developer, so I may have a different view on this. See

http://spscicomp.org/wordpress/pages/user-experiences-with-eclipse-ptp-synchronized-projects/ for details.

> Basically, the synchronization effects becomes untenable.  I've also run

> into cases where it's working one day, but the next day (perhaps after

> returning from hibernate - just a guess) I might get "channel is not

> opened" or "channelexec" errors.  I couldn't figure out how to work around

> that - rebooting or restarting eclipse didn't help.

> If I had a option to sync in only one direction that would solve half my

> problem I think.

I am currently beta testing Iuno RC3, and I haven't seen a single "channelexec" error after I switched to Iuno. I have just suspended my TP, woke it up again and started synchronization and compile - no problem at all. Of course, I didn't suspend while the synchronization was in flight.

Hope these remarks were at least somewhat helpful.

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Dr. Christoph Pospiech

High Performance & Parallel Computing

Phone: +49-351 86269826

Mobile: +49-171-765 5871

E-Mail: christoph.pospiech@xxxxxxxxxx

IBM Deutschland GmbH / Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter

Geschäftsführung: Martina Koederitz (Vorsitzende), Reinhard Reschke, Dieter Scholz, Gregor Pillen, Joachim Heel, Christian Noll

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Ehningen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 14562 / WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 99369940

Back to the top