Re: [ptp-user] parallel application run failure

Brett
I have a small MPI program, two tasks, I ran that outputs a single line of text, about 100 bytes long to stdout. If the program runs for a few seconds, then I see the output appear in the console view, assuming I have checked the  'Display combined output in a console view'.

A few questions for you

Is your program writing to stdout using stdio functions (printf, etc) or writing to file descriptor 1 using write() system calls, assuming C/C++ code. If it's Fortran code are you using write/print statements?

With the PTP runtime jobs view open, normal behavior should be seeing is that a blue job icon briefly appears in the left hand pane of teh jobs view. After a couple seconds, it should turn into a green triangle and green diamond icons appear in the right hand pane of the jobs view, 1 per task. When the job completes, the job icon and the diamond icons should turn red. Are you seeing this sequence or something else?

Once the job completes, if you double click on the leftmost red diamond icon, which represents task 0, a 'Process details' window should appear in the editor pane of the perspective, with the job output appearing there. You should also be able to do this when the icon is green and watch stdout in real time. Do you see anything there?

If you open the error log view, do you see any errors (red icons) logged related to the run?

Does it appear that the program is otherwise running to completion (other data files it writes other than stdout/stderr get created correctly)?

I'm seeing the output almost immediately after I start the program. If you change your test program so that it runs for something like 10 seconds instead of running quickly, or an infinite loop, does that affect the output?
Dave

Re: [ptp-user] parallel application run failure

Brett Bode to: PTP User list
08/11/2009 03:09 PM

Sent by: ptp-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Please respond to PTP User list

It can be a short running job, but I have modified it to go into an
infinite loop as well. When it's setup as a short running task the
second console window does not open at all. The traceback shows up for
both cases. In any event I would hope that I would be able to see the
output of even something as trivial as hostname.

Brett