Re: [ptp-user] PTP adoption

> Is this something on the list of things to be implemented? This seems
> like a significant limitation in the context of a smooth remote
> development experience. It essentially forces the user to login on the
> command line to checkin/out their code to keep it in sync with other
> systems.

The idea has been considered, but there are no concrete plans as of yet. It is a question of available resources rather than whether or not we think it should be there.

> I am confused as to how the RDT server is intended to run. Do you
> intend it to be run as root  and it forks off a new JVM instance when
> each user logs in or does each user need to launch their own copy of
> the server?

You can run it in either fashion. In daemon mode, the daemon is run as root and forks off a new JVM every time a user connects. Otherwise, the user ends up launching their own server instance themselves (whether through REXEC, or by connecting to a running server). Using the REXEC method is not recommended due to the inherent insecurity of it.

===========================
Chris Recoskie
Team Lead, IBM CDT and RDT
IBM Toronto
Inactive hide details for Brett Bode <bbode@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>Brett Bode <bbode@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

          Brett Bode <bbode@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Sent by: ptp-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

          06/09/2009 03:46 PM

          Please respond to
          PTP User list <ptp-user@xxxxxxxxxxx>

PTP User list <ptp-user@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject

Re: [ptp-user] PTP adoption

On Jun 9, 2009, at 2:32 PM, Chris Recoskie wrote:

> > I believe that you should still be able to use CVS with remote
> > projects, but Chris could correct me if I'm wrong. You would first
> > create the remote project, then check out the source files from CVS
> > using "Check out as..." and "Check out into an existing project".
>
> Eclipse's CVS Team provider doesn't work with EFS, so unfortunately
> there is no current integrated source control solution... yet.
>
> What you can do is check out your source using a source control
> client on the remote machine, and then point Eclipse at the files
> that were checked out.

Is this something on the list of things to be implemented? This seems
like a significant limitation in the context of a smooth remote
development experience. It essentially forces the user to login on the
command line to checkin/out their code to keep it in sync with other
systems.

> >   - how much reliable is the RDT server ? how many users do you
> > estimate each server instance might
> >     be able to support ?
>
> You need a server instance per user. Even when running in daemon
> mode, the daemon launches a new JVM for each user.

I am confused as to how the RDT server is intended to run. Do you
intend it to be run as root  and it forks off a new JVM instance when
each user logs in or does each user need to launch their own copy of
the server?

Thanks,
Brett