Re: [ptp-user] PTP adoption

On Jun 9, 2009, at 2:32 PM, Chris Recoskie wrote:

> I believe that you should still be able to use CVS with remote
> projects, but Chris could correct me if I'm wrong. You would first
> create the remote project, then check out the source files from CVS
> using "Check out as..." and "Check out into an existing project".

Eclipse's CVS Team provider doesn't work with EFS, so unfortunately there is no current integrated source control solution... yet.

What you can do is check out your source using a source control client on the remote machine, and then point Eclipse at the files that were checked out.

Is this something on the list of things to be implemented? This seems like a significant limitation in the context of a smooth remote development experience. It essentially forces the user to login on the command line to checkin/out their code to keep it in sync with other systems.

>   - how much reliable is the RDT server ? how many users do you
> estimate each server instance might
>     be able to support ?

You need a server instance per user. Even when running in daemon mode, the daemon launches a new JVM for each user.

I am confused as to how the RDT server is intended to run. Do you intend it to be run as root and it forks off a new JVM instance when each user logs in or does each user need to launch their own copy of the server?

Thanks,
Brett

>   - how much secure can the DSTORE protocol be considered ? would it
> be secure to expose the server
>     on the public network ?

I would suggest you ask that question on the dsdp-tm newsgroup or mailing list, they are more qualified to answer that question. I know you can do SSL encryption on the connection.

===========================
Chris Recoskie
Team Lead, IBM CDT and RDT
IBM Toronto
<graycol.gif>Greg Watson <g.watson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Greg Watson <g.watson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ptp-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
06/09/2009 08:51 AM
Please respond to
PTP User list <ptp-user@xxxxxxxxxxx>
<ecblank.gif>
<ecblank.gif>
PTP User list <ptp-user@xxxxxxxxxxx>
<ecblank.gif>
cc
<ecblank.gif>
<ecblank.gif>
Subject
<ecblank.gif>
Re: [ptp-user] PTP adoption
<ecblank.gif>
<ecblank.gif>

Giuseppe,

I've answered some of your questions below. For the remaining
questions, I'll have to defer to others to answer.

On Jun 8, 2009, at 8:33 AM, Giuseppe Fiameni wrote:

> Dear ptp users,
> I am getting familiar with the Eclipse PTP platform and I would like
> to ask you some
> questions I have not been able to find an answer for.
>
> - I would prefer to employ the remote development tools to directly
> work on remote
> projects but there are some aspects of this approach I need a
> clarification for:
>   - how would it be possible to keep maintaining my source code
> under a version control
>     system (e.g. CVS,SVN) even for remote projects ?

I believe that you should still be able to use CVS with remote
projects, but Chris could correct me if I'm wrong. You would first
create the remote project, then check out the source files from CVS
using "Check out as..." and "Check out into an existing project".

>   - how much reliable is the RDT server ? how many users do you
> estimate each server instance might
>     be able to support ?
>   - how much secure can the DSTORE protocol be considered ? would it
> be secure to expose the server
>     on the public network ?
>
> - As far as I understood only the SDM is supported as debugger. Is
> there any plan to integrate other
> debuggers such as gdb ? I might suppose that the integration of
> advanced debuggers (e.s. totalview,
> valgrind) can be done using the External Tools Framework.

The SDM uses gdb to perform debugging operations on parallel programs.
If are interested in using gdb to debug remote sequential programs,
then you might want to look at the remote launch configuration that
comes with CDT.

I believe Totalview has already done some Eclipse integration with
their product.

> - Is there any plug-in which supports the PGI compiler ?

Adding compiler support is not particularly difficult, but I haven't
heard of PGI adding support for their compilers.

> - The roadmap for the next releases reports a possible integration
> with LSF. Could you please provide more
> information about this ?

At one point Platform Computing were interested in adding support for
LSF, but I haven't seen anything eventuate. We will hopefully have
support for SLURM in the next release.

> Many thanks for your precious help.

You're welcome. Thanks for your interest.

Greg