[ptp-user] re: Changing connection name for a remote project

Sorry for any tardy replies I owe you Dave, I only just subscribed to this list this morning.

> Is it possible and a good idea to provide the ability to change the
> connection name for a remote project after the remote project has been
> created? I have the source code in a directory that is shared between
> multiple systems (by NFS). Our lab development environment is also set up
> with directories shared by multiple systems.

Right now RSE doesn't give us notification when a connection is renamed, which means RDT can't react to it.

> The reason I'm wondering if this is worthwhile is that this source code
> could be common source code for AIX and/or multiple Linux versions where
> depending what I'm doing, I may want to compile that code on AIX or Linux
> systems.

We have thought of this... which is why the service model allows for multiple service configurations per project.  However there is no UI yet to allow you to do this.

> Also, if I'm running in a cluster environment like this, the initial
> system I specified when creating the project may be down or I want to use
> a different system for performance reasons.

Ok... then change the machine the connection points to, but leave the connection name as it is, and it should work.

> Is this possible for a closed project or one where the defined connection
> is not connected? Is there sufficient info in the local Eclipse dtaa to
> make this work, or do you depend on what's on the remote system that you
> can't get to?
> Dave

As long as you keep the connection name in RSE the same, you should be able to muck with the actual connection parameters, regardless of the open/closed state of the project, and it should work.

Chris Recoskie
Team Lead, IBM CDT and RDT
IBM Toronto

Back to the top