Re: [ptp-user] Changing connection name for a remote project

Greg
The particular case I'm looking at has two machines, k17sf2p01 and
k17sf2p03, that share a common filesystem by NFS mount. The source code is
in that shared filesystem, accessed by the same pathname on both systems.
The case where the same source is on two different machines is a little
more risky since not only the system headers, but the source itself, could
be different in the case of two independent machines. I think the shared
filesystem is the more common case.  I'd like to be able to switch the
project to either of those machines, either because one system is down, or
because I'm compiling for a different OS.

Currently, I don't seem to be able to switch systems. Once I create a
project, Eclipse seems to know which RSE connection it needs and tries to
open the project using that connection.  I get a long (several minute)
hang of Eclipse if I try to open a project where the underlying connection
is not connected and the node at the other end of that connection is down.

I'd like to be able to do this for both open and closed projects, and
regardless of whether the underlying connection is in the connected state.
If I have a closed project, then currently I think I'm forced to open the
project that I can't open since the remote system is inaccessible.

Dave

Greg Watson <g.watson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ptp-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
01/22/2009 12:02 PM
Please respond to
PTP User list <ptp-user@xxxxxxxxxxx>

PTP User list <ptp-user@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject

On Jan 22, 2009, at 9:33 AM, Dave Wootton wrote:

> Is it possible and a good idea to provide the ability to change the
> connection name for a remote project after the remote project has been
> created? I have the source code in a directory that is shared between
> multiple systems (by NFS). Our lab development environment is also
> set up
> with directories shared by multiple systems.
> The reason I'm wondering if this is worthwhile is that this source
> code
> could be common source code for AIX and/or multiple Linux versions
> where
> depending what I'm doing, I may want to compile that code on AIX or
> Linux
> systems.
>
> Also, if I'm running in a cluster environment like this, the initial
> system I specified when creating the project may be down or I want
> to use
> a different system for performance reasons.
>
> I think this also affects the remote services setup in the last
> panel of
> the project create wizard.
>
> Does this cause more problems than it is worth? Does this affect
> indexing,
> or require indexing to be redone when a project is moved to a
> different
> system?
>
> I realize system directories may be different on different systems
> within
> the cluster, even for the same OS (the specific OS level might be
> different). Does that cause more problems?

I'm not sure exactly what your use case is here. Would you have the
source located on two different machines and then switch the project
between the different machines? Or would the machines be sharing a
common filesystem containing the source? At the moment, you'd need to
manually start the server on the different machine, but otherwise I
don't see why switching from one to another would be a problem, it's
just a bit complicated because each service (EFS, index, and build)
would need to be changed. I don't think there's any easy way to do
this at the moment.

> Is this possible for a closed project or one where the defined
> connection
> is not connected? Is there sufficient info in the local Eclipse dtaa
> make this work, or do you depend on what's on the remote system that
> you
> can't get to?

Not sure what you mean here. Do you want to have a project in the
workspace, but the connection is not active (e.g. the server is not
running)?