Re: [ptp-user] Changing connection name for a remote project

On Jan 22, 2009, at 9:33 AM, Dave Wootton wrote:

Is it possible and a good idea to provide the ability to change the
connection name for a remote project after the remote project has been
created? I have the source code in a directory that is shared between
multiple systems (by NFS). Our lab development environment is also set up
with directories shared by multiple systems.
The reason I'm wondering if this is worthwhile is that this source code could be common source code for AIX and/or multiple Linux versions where depending what I'm doing, I may want to compile that code on AIX or Linux
systems.

Also, if I'm running in a cluster environment like this, the initial
system I specified when creating the project may be down or I want to use
a different system for performance reasons.

I think this also affects the remote services setup in the last panel of
the project create wizard.

Does this cause more problems than it is worth? Does this affect indexing, or require indexing to be redone when a project is moved to a different
system?

I realize system directories may be different on different systems within
the cluster, even for the same OS (the specific OS level might be
different). Does that cause more problems?

I'm not sure exactly what your use case is here. Would you have the source located on two different machines and then switch the project between the different machines? Or would the machines be sharing a common filesystem containing the source? At the moment, you'd need to manually start the server on the different machine, but otherwise I don't see why switching from one to another would be a problem, it's just a bit complicated because each service (EFS, index, and build) would need to be changed. I don't think there's any easy way to do this at the moment.

Is this possible for a closed project or one where the defined connection is not connected? Is there sufficient info in the local Eclipse dtaa to make this work, or do you depend on what's on the remote system that you
can't get to?

Not sure what you mean here. Do you want to have a project in the workspace, but the connection is not active (e.g. the server is not running)?

Dave