Re: [ptp-user] Debug in PTP

On Apr 23, 2007, at 8:59 AM, Robert Henschel wrote:

Hi Greg,

thanks for the fast response, please find my answers below.

Greg Watson wrote:
Hi Robert,

PTP 1.1 does not provide remote debugging. This is something we're
hoping to add for the 2.0 release later this year.

However, there are enough hooks in 1.1 to run the debugger remotely,
albeit with some manual steps.

1. Open Preferences, the go to PTP->Debug->SDM. Change 'SDM client host'
to the hostname of the machine running Eclipse (your local machine).
I have that set to "localhost". So I guess that should work. (No change
to what it was set before!)

No it won't work. It must be the hostname of your local machine. This is used by the debugger running on the remote nodes to connect back to Eclipse.

2. Change 'Path to backend debugger' to the location of gdb on the
remote nodes. If gdb is in your PATH on the nodes then skip this step.
The Backend debugger is set to "gdb-mi" and I cannot edit that. I cannot
locate that executable on my system. But since it works when I run a
local debug session, I wonder how...

It's probably already in your path.

3. Manually copy the application executable onto the remote nodes. If
you're mounting your local directory on the nodes then skip this step.
Due to some problems with "locking" on our file system, I am running
everything out of /tmp for the moment. I have synchronized the local
/tmp with the /tmp directory on the nodes in the cluster, so all
executables are available. All paths are the same on all systems.

You should hopefully now be able to launch a debug session.
No, I am not. :-)

But since this is not supported today, I am not sure if we should
continue to work on the workaround?! I can always run 10 processes on my
local machine and debug it that way.

For your information, I have attached the console log of the eclipse, I
think that can provide a glue about the failure.

BTW, when clicking on "Cancel" in the dialog window that display
"Operation in progress...  Connecting to proxy server...." I get a
dialog saying that the "Session is not connected".