Re: [ptp-user] Reading user input

Okay, I think I've got it now. That was very helpful, thanks for taking the time to answer.

Natalie

On 4/2/07, Greg Watson < g.watson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Natalie,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I suspect that it is working using mpirun because all your processes are running on the local machine. The problem is that in a cluster environment there is no guarantee that the rank 0 process  will be on the same machine as the mpirun command. If the process is remote, then somehow the mpirun command needs to forward I/O between the process and your local terminal. I believe this has not been implemented for standard input in OpenMPI. If the rank 0 process is running on the local machine then it is reading directly from your terminal, which is why it works in this case. OpenMPI does forward standard out, so you will see output regardless of whether the program is running locally or remotely.

Let me know if this helps,

Greg

Back to the top