Re: [ptp-dev] Java 1.7

Yes

On May 7, 2014, at 10:07 PM, Beth Tibbitts <beth@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Do we want to require Java 1.7 for the parallel package in Luna?

... Beth
Beth Tibbitts
Sent from my Android phone

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Markus Knauer" <mknauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: May 7, 2014 4:49 PM
Subject: [epp-dev] final call... Java 1.7 - action required

Hi package maintainers,

in [1] we've had a discussion about requiring a JRE >= 1.7 if someone launches a Luna EPP package; if it is started with 1.6 or lower, an error dialog would be shown to the user then. At the moment it is set to >=1.6 for all packages. There is a discussion about this issue in bug 423734 [2], but we've never reached a consensus because there's pro and there's contra.

The Planning Council discussed this topic in its December meeting [3], and I'm aware of at least two additional potential problems [4] and [5].

My recommendation is that *at least* the packages that contain bundles with a 1.7 BREE require 1.7. If I'm not mistaken this is the case for the Automotive Package and the CPP Package, but as a package maintainer you are in the best position to judge what's best for your package.

My original plan was that all packages are delivered with the same minimum requirement, but I don't want to enforce this. It's up to you, package maintainers, to decide! Independent from your decision we'll update the hint on the download page [6].

In order to make the change as easy as possible for you, I've created a change in Gerrit for each package. If you want to have this Java 1.7 requirement applied to your package, please approve the specific change with a Gerrit +2 and submit it. If you don't feel comfortable with this change in the Luna timeframe, vote with a -2.

  https://git.eclipse.org/r/26174 Require Java 7 in order to start the automotive package
  https://git.eclipse.org/r/26176 Require Java 7 in order to start the cpp package
  https://git.eclipse.org/r/26177 Require Java 7 in order to start the dsl package
  https://git.eclipse.org/r/26178 Require Java 7 in order to start the java package
  https://git.eclipse.org/r/26179 Require Java 7 in order to start the jee package
  https://git.eclipse.org/r/26180 Require Java 7 in order to start the modeling package
  https://git.eclipse.org/r/26181 Require Java 7 in order to start the parallel package
  https://git.eclipse.org/r/26182 Require Java 7 in order to start the php package
  https://git.eclipse.org/r/26183 Require Java 7 in order to start the rcp/rap package
  https://git.eclipse.org/r/26184 Require Java 7 in order to start the reporting package
  https://git.eclipse.org/r/26185 Require Java 7 in order to start the scout package
  https://git.eclipse.org/r/26186 Require Java 7 in order to start the standard package
  https://git.eclipse.org/r/26187 Require Java 7 in order to start the testing package

And it would be best to approve this change very quick to get it into the M7 build!

Let me know if there are any issues (with the change set, with Gerrit, with whatever...)

Thanks and regards,
Markus