[ptp-dev] PATH problems

We seem to be increasingly running into problems with the user's PATH not being set correctly when running remote commands. This is particularly the case for people using ksh, and systems that don't allow the environment to be manipulated by the user.

As a proposed solution to this problem, what would people think about replacing the current invocation "/bin/sh -c …command…" with "bash --login -c …command…"? The advantage of this is that the user would have the opportunity to set their PATH in order to pick up commands that are in non-standard locations. We would also know that the command will always be run in a bash shell. The disadvantage is that if the user does something weird in their .bash_profile then it could upset the remote command execution.

I'm pretty sure that bash is available for AIX.

Comments?

Greg

Back to the top