Re: [ptp-dev] Developing Photran (and running PTP) with Juno development version

On Jan 3, 2012, at 1:03 PM, David Alexander wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> Thanks for the answer.  I saw the photran docs, but they all say indigo and I am trying to work with the juno code, so I wasn't sure if it directly applied.  I am not developing any PTP code at this point, but I would like to run remotely to test my Photran development.  So I need at the jars, but I am also just interested in learning the source, so I want to build it as well.
>
> Anyway, I reset all (CDT, PTP, Photran) to the master branch; ran a "clean", then re-built.  I am now getting a "No rule to make target 'all'" error for ptp.rm.slurm.proxy (which is some C code in PTP) and below is my Problems view. Lots of PTP error, some CDT, but no Photran.  By the way, I am bit confused when you get a package from both "Install New Software" and "clone of Git repo". Without thinking much, I guessed that the first gets you the jar files and the second gets you the source, but then I wondered what happened when the Git code is compiled, which byte code used in the resulting runtime app?

"Install New Software" is typically used to install released software into your Eclipse installation. It is not normally used for developing plugins, but for installing/updating plugins in your development environment. You clone a Git repo if you want to work on the source code of a particular plugin.

If an installed plugin has source code attached (and we don't do this for PTP yet), you can select the "Plugins" tab in the Package Explorer, right click on the plugin and select "Import As>Source Project" to load the source into your workspace.

The "Plugins" tab on the Eclipse Application launch configuration controls whether plugins in your workspace or plugins from the base Eclipse installation are loaded.

Regards,
Greg

Back to the top