Re: [ptp-dev] Possible addition to PTP 2.0 todo list

Dave,

I don't see a problem with what you're asking. The client (Java) side already supports remove events for every type of model element. I think I had intended to provide a proxy remove event, but just never needed it with the ORTE proxy.

As far as the node numbering is concerned, it is totally up to the server side to determine the numbering using the nodeNumber attribute. This attribute has no intrinsic meaning in the model. The only places the node number is used is for the tooltip popup when you hover over a node, and the node attributes panel. Both of these will display anything you supply. The node number is also used for the ruler on the left side of the nodes view, but I think it can deal with gaps in the numbering.

While we're on the topic of events, I'd like to propose the following changes to the proxy events. Currently, when an error occurs (e.g. job submission fails for some reason, or the proxy does not start properly), the proxy sends a MESSAGE event back to Eclipse. The event has a value that indicates the level of the error (FATAL, ERROR, etc.)

Instead of this general message event, I'd like to have a specific event types for errors. Currently they would be:

IProxyRuntimeInitErrorEvent
IProxyRuntimeModelDefErrorEvent
IProxyRuntimeStartEventsErrorEvent
IProxyRuntimeStopEventsErrorEvent
IProxyRuntimeSubmitJobErrorEvent
IProxyRuntimeTerminateJobErrorEvent

In other words, each command would have a corresponding error event. As we add more commands, there would need be a corresponding error event for the command.

The general message events would still remain, but would be used for message logging rather than error indication.

Let me know if anyone has objections to this. Otherwise I'll go ahead and add the code.

Greg