[ptp-dev] Possible addition to PTP 2.0 todo list

I have a possible addition to the 2.0 todo list. I think that events to
signal the deletion of model objects are needed, at least for nodes and
jobs.

With one of my resource managers, new nodes are added to a machine as the
host list file specifying those nodes is processed, since that is the only
place I have any information about which nodes exist within the machine
(cluster). When the job completes, I'd like to remove those nodes from the
machine view if I have no other jobs using those nodes. Note that this
could result in gaps in node numbering, since I may have one job running
using nodes 0-7 and another job using nodes 0-3, and a third using nodes
4-7. If the first two jobs complete before the third, then at the time
just the third job is running, I would have deleted nodes 0-3. Would that
cause problems with node numbering in the front end? Would it be a problem
if these node numbers got reused, maybe for different nodes?

With another resource manager, it's possible to either cancel a job before
it starts, or migrate it to a different machine (cluster) before it
starts. In those cases, I'd like to delete the job out of the queue for
the machine the job was initially submitted to rather than laeving it in
the queue.

The other alternative is to put the affected nodes or jobs into a special
state (unavailable for nodes, maybe canceled for jobs), but I think that
may leave the display cluttered.

Dave

Back to the top