[ptp-dev] Debug / Runtime interface

Donny, Clement - how are you guys envisioning the interaction between the debug and parallel models? I'm not entirely clear what happens when someone clicks on the 'debug run' button as opposed to the 'run' button. I believe a configuration is passed into the same run method but that configuration has a debug flag set - is this correct?

We can easily change the interface to the runtime system (control system more specifically) so that the Run() method takes as argument a flag which is true if debugging is enabled. But - how do you intend to start the debuggers? One thought I had for modeling this might be:

ModelManager.run(...., required_debug[true/false], ...)
{
   if(required_debug == true) {
      debugModel.run(controlSystemHandle, ...);
   }
   else {
      controlSystemHandle.run(...);
   }
}

Then if the debugging was required, you could do whatever preparation you needed for the control system in the debug model. I could hand you a handle to the control system so that you could call controlSystemHandle.run(...) whenever you were ready (after preparing the debug system).

These are just some ideas - I'm interested in hearing what you guys are thinking about.

--
-- Nathan
Correspondence