[platform-update-dev] Update Manager prompt for fields, send as Web Service Input

In a future version of the Update Manager, I would like to put something in
the manifest for my update-package (not sure that's the correct word),
listing some codes for fields that I would like the Update Manager to
require the user to enter before downloading and installing the package.

For example, some of the codes would stand for:
 user-family-name
 user-given-name
 user-email-address
 user-employers-name
and in addition, if there was something unique for my package, I could just
pass a string to be displayed while prompting the person  for a value, such
as
 'Your year of birth'

It should be possible for me to indicate in the "update-package" whether
one of these fields is required, or can be 'left blank'.

It should be possible for me to indicate in the "update-package" an
http-based Web Service invocation (either a SOAP envelope or just a URI
with parameters), and after the user enters values for the fields needed
and presses a button (e.g. "submit info and continue installation"), the
info is sent off, (along with date and time provided by the Java VM), and
then the download is continued.

The purpose would be to allow me to track who and when has installed my
feature.

Thanks,
Bob

(IBM Thomas J Watson Research Center, Hawthorne, NY, USA currently using
Eclipse 2.1.2, will build features for Eclipse 2.2 and Eclipse 3.0)

Back to the top