Re: [platform-update-dev] How to publish plug-in changes to developers

I'll try to explain me better.

Let's say we have 3 characters.
- The plug-in provider .
- The customer system administrator
- The plug-in final user.

A.) I am the Plug-in provider. The plug-ins have properties files and I
fill them by default. A property can be a DSN for example.
I package my product (which includes plug-ins and other stuff) in a
installation setup.

B)The customer system administrator receives the setup and runs it.
The setup  completes the following steps :
      1. deletes previous deployed plugins from their update server
      2.  puts new plugins in the update server.
At one step, the setup should be able to enable the person that runs it to
specify configuration data .
For example, the DSN to the database that have to connect all users.

C) The final user downloads the new plug-ins  from the customer update
server .
He does not have to change or configure anything.

My problem is to know if their is an easy way to make the customer system
administrator change the properties files, and repackage the plug-ins.
Maybe I'm going the wrong way and the install philosophy is completely
different. Please tell me.

>> - Once published to an update server, imagine there is a need to change
>> properties file.
>> if you change it inside the plugin,  as the version does not change,
there
>> is no possibility for users to update to the latest changes. Any
solution ?

>In a general case if you modify a plugins contents. You need to  (this is
for 2.1 )
>1) Update the plugin version number
>2)  Either create an update or a patch.
>      a) Update - update the version number and include of each feature
down the tree from the root level feature to the feature with the changed
plugin
>     b) Patch - create a new feature with the changed plugin and feature
it contains and use it to patch the root feature.
>3) Supply the update or patch to the  Update Site.

That's what I don't want my customers have to do . I mean i would like to
do the same, but in an automatic way.

>> - It there a way to download old plug-ins from local machine when you
>> update to newer ones?
>>

>Why do you need the old plugins?

I meant "delete" .
My question was if their is a way to delete automatically previous
installed plug-ins  (not only disabled), when you download new ones from an
update server.

Thanks

------------------------------
Thomas BUTTIER
ISBAN - GestiĆ³n del Software
Tel.-  91.3383642

                      Peter Manahan
                      <manahan@xxxxxxxxxx>               Para:    platform-update-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      Enviado por:                       cc:
                      platform-update-dev-admin@         Asunto:  Re: [platform-update-dev] How to publish plug-in changes to developers
                      eclipse.org

                      04/12/2003 17:43
                      Por favor, responda a
                      platform-update-dev

platform-update-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 04/12/2003 11:14:36 AM:

> Hi all
>
> Eclipse version : 2.1
> - I have plug-ins that require a change in their properties file before
> beeing published to an Update Server. How would yo do that without
building
> again the feature/plugin, but in an automatic way ? For instance changing
> the configuration could be a final step in the installation setup.

I am not sure I understand what you are doing. Each time a plugin is
shipped to a user with a change its version changes. Could you be more
specific as to what the properties file change you are talking about? You
mention configuration etc.  I am unsure how you would do that. Plugins
aren't meant to be different across installs. So if I have plugin A on one
machine then plugin A on another machine would be identical. Any config
information should be stored in the plugins preferences area.

> - Once published to an update server, imagine there is a need to change a
> properties file.
> if you change it inside the plugin,  as the version does not change,
there
> is no possibility for users to update to the latest changes. Any solution
?

In a general case if you modify a plugins contents. You need to  (this is
for 2.1 )
1) Update the plugin version number
2)  Either create an update or a patch.
       a) Update - update the version number and include of each feature
down the tree from the root level feature to the feature with the changed
plugin
       b) Patch - create a new feature with the changed plugin and feature
it contains and use it to patch the root feature.
3) Supply the update or patch to the  Update Site.

> - It there a way to download old plug-ins from local machine when you
> update to newer ones?

Why do you need the old plugins?

Peter

Back to the top