Re: [platform-update-dev] How to publish plug-in changes to developers

platform-update-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 04/12/2003 01:17:28 PM:

> I'll try to explain me better.
>
> Let's say we have 3 characters.
> - The plug-in provider .
> - The customer system administrator
> - The plug-in final user.
>
> A.) I am the Plug-in provider. The plug-ins have properties files and I
> fill them by default. A property can be a DSN for example.
> I package my product (which includes plug-ins and other stuff) in a
> installation setup.

Understood. At this point you should assume the data in your plugin is readonly. The default values are in the plugin but any configuration thats needs to be done later shouldn't be in stored in your plugin.

> B)The customer system administrator receives the setup and runs it.
> The setup  completes the following steps :
>       1. deletes previous deployed plugins from their update server
>       2.  puts new plugins in the update server.
> At one step, the setup should be able to enable the person that runs it to
> specify configuration data .
> For example, the DSN to the database that have to connect all users.

This will only work if the user has specifically pointed to the admin update server. The user will never find an update there using 1-click download. Help->Software Updates->New Updates. I wouldn't recommend installing into an update server like that. The admins may have set it up in a way that would make your install fail.

> C) The final user downloads the new plug-ins  from the customer update
> server .
> He does not have to change or configure anything.
>

> My problem is to know if their is an easy way to make the customer system
> administrator change the properties files, and repackage the plug-ins.
> Maybe I'm going the wrong way and the install philosophy is completely
> different. Please tell me.

Install/Update manager is for installing and updating. What you are describing a requirement for is more a global configuration issue as part of the install. Update Manager currently doesn't provide hooks for that really unless you use an install handler.

You could Allow changes to a data-file provided as part of the feature which can sit outside the feature (for example a url defined in a properties file). That the admin could set to pull down a default configuration from. Then your install handler could put it in a well known place in the user's config say the user.dir and then your plugin could read it from there.