Re: Re: Re:[platform-update-dev] Non plug-in data that is part of a feature

Couple of comments and an answer I've just c&p'd the relevant parts.

>>I am unsure of what you mean when you say that users should be able to
>>browse without downloading the whole thing.  When I include the zip file
>>in the update site, the user can't browse to it - all they can see is
>>the update site and the features.

Update manager downloads all the features on the site. It has to in order to do dependency checking. If your zip is part of a feature jar archive then it will be downloaded when the features are. The larger the feature is then the longer it will be before the user will be able to interact with the UI. Minimizing the size of the feature jar makes the browsing of the update site faster. The zip then only gets downloaded when the install is triggered.

>>The files I need to download are going to be tools that our tool will
>>depend on, they might be tar.gz files, RPMs, ZIP files, possibly
>>executables, so we need to check and see if they are there, and then
>>install them if they are not.

This much dependency checking/installation outside of eclipse. You may want to reconsider using Update Manager as the primary installation method. Sounds more like you need a native installer to do this work for you. Update Manager is great for installation into eclipse for features and plugins outside of that niche it isn't the best or easiest way to install a product.

>>At this point I am trying to write a custom install handler, and I am
>>desperate for more documentation than what I have found in the on-line
>>Help (which is the Help > Platform Plug-in Developer Guide > Reference >
>>Feature Archives and the  Help > Platform Plug-in Developer Guide >
>>Extension Point Reference > Other > org.eclipse.core.installHandler, and
>>looking at the DefaultInstallHandler code.  Any help there would be much
>>appreciated.

Have you looked at the tests and examples in cvs and the development resources?
Somewhere in here I recall seeing an example install handler I think.

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/platform-update-home/dev.html

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/org.eclipse.update.examples/

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/org.eclipse.update.tests.core/

Thanks,