[platform-update-dev] Supporting individual user plugins in a common installation of Eclipse 2.1

Hi,

I met John Wiegand at the Eclipse event during JavaONE. I had a configuration question - and he advised me to post it to this mailing list.

Development environment: Sun Solaris 2.8
Eclipse version: 2.1 (200303272130)
JDK version: 1.4.1

We have a single instance of eclipse located on /usr/local/eclipse. Every user has been setup with their own workspace (~/workspace) which is invoked when they start up their instance of eclipse as follows:

eclipse -data ~/workspace

There are a default set of plugins that can be used by every user through the /usr/local/eclipse install. We are trying to set it up so that every user can setup an external set of plugins that can be used when they start up eclipse - in addition to the default set of plugins.

My question is:
1. is this feasible ?
2. if so - and if it's to be done using the -configuration option, could someone respond as to how it can be done.

I did find a platform.cfg located in ~/workspace/.metadata/.config which points to the base plugin. I am not sure what modifications I need to make to this to achieve the above.

Examples on how to achieve this would be very useful.

Regards,
Suresh.