Re: [platform-update-dev] Feature pre-requisites - approach, required?, to plugin or feature??

Pat,

> All features have a plugin with the same id
A feature that does not have a plug-in with the same id does not get to
participate in about dialogs or welcome pages.
All the Eclipse features have such a plug-in.

> Some, but not all, features include the <requires> tag.
The use of <import plugin="org.eclipse.platform" version="2.0.0" match
="compatible" /> simply ensures that this version of JDT is only configured
with an Eclipse Platform 2.0 or better (2.0.1 or 2.1, etc.); i.e., not
Eclipse 1.0. Admittedly, this is not much of a constraint.

> The PDE feature does not include a <requires> tag - but it probably
requires platform and jdt.
This is a bug that will be fixed for the 20020521 build.

> The platform feature does not include a <requires> tag (and does not seem
to need one).
Correct.

> If I use the PDE to create a feature it has a page seems to allow for
feature prereq references from the feature being defined.
This is new stuff still under development. We'll let you know when its
ready to be used.

> Given that we expect the update manager logic to validate the prereqs for
a feature we need to understand the approach that is supported. Should we
be including the <requires> tag in features associated to products built on
the Eclipse platform?

Good question. I'll try to get you an answer. Omit the <requires> tag for
now. Send a description of the particular kinds of real-life contstraints
that the features in your products will have.

---Jim des Rivieres

|---------+------------------------------------->
|         |           Pat McCarthy              |
|         |           <patmc@xxxxxxxxxx>        |
|         |           Sent by:                  |
|         |           platform-update-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org               |
|         |                                     |
|         |                                     |
|         |           05/20/2002 01:14 PM       |
|         |           Please respond to         |
|         |           platform-update-dev       |
|         |                                     |
|---------+------------------------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                      |
  |        To:      platform-update-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx                                                      |
  |        cc:                                                                                           |
  |        Subject: [platform-update-dev] Feature pre-requisites - approach, required?, to plugin or     |
  |        feature??                                                                                     |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I've been studying the last few 051x builds of the Eclipse platform and
have noticed that:

      All features have a plugin with the same id
      Some, but not all, features include the <requires> tag.
      The JDT feature says:
        <requires>
           <import plugin="org.eclipse.platform" version="2.0.0" match
      ="compatible" />
        </requires>

      The PDE feature does not include a <requires> tag - but it probably
      requires platform and jdt.

      The platform feature does not include a <requires> tag (and does not
      seem to need one).

      If I use the PDE to create a feature it has a page seems to allow for
      feature prereq references from the feature being defined.

      I can't get this to work - as features in the workspace are not
      available when the add button is pressed.
Question:
Given that we expect the update manager logic to validate the prereqs for a
feature we need to understand the approach that is supported. Should we be
including the <requires> tag in features associated to products built on
the Eclipse platform?

If yes:
      for all plugins
      for the plugin with the same id as the feature
      for other features (when allowed, when syntax understood)
Thanks

Pat Mc.

Back to the top