[platform-update-dev] Feature pre-requisites - approach, required?, to plugin or feature??

I've been studying the last few 051x builds of the Eclipse platform and have noticed that:

  • All features have a plugin with the same id
  • Some, but not all, features include the <requires> tag.
    The JDT feature says:
      <requires>
         <import plugin="org.eclipse.platform" version="2.0.0" match="compatible" />
      </requires>

    The PDE feature does not include a <requires> tag - but it probably requires platform and jdt.

    The platform feature does not include a <requires> tag (and does not seem to need one).

  • If I use the PDE to create a feature it has a page seems to allow for feature prereq references from the feature being defined.

  • I can't get this to work - as features in the workspace are not available when the add button is pressed.
Question:
Given that we expect the update manager logic to validate the prereqs for a feature we need to understand the approach that is supported. Should we be including the <requires> tag in features associated to products built on the Eclipse platform?

If yes:

  • for all plugins
  • for the plugin with the same id as the feature
  • for other features (when allowed, when syntax understood)
Thanks

Pat Mc.

Back to the top