Re: [platform-update-dev] Update Manager and the Nevada test site

Pat,     What you are seeing is just for update manager testing.  The
Eclipse Nevada Test Site is an update site that contains what look like
new-and-improved versions of the Eclipse platform's features and plug-ins.
In fact, these are just cannon fodder for the update manager, generated
automatically off the build process.

References to the Eclipse Nevada Test Site in the feature.xml of the
Eclipse features will be remove shortly.

---Jim des Rivieres

|---------+------------------------------------->
|         |           Pat McCarthy              |
|         |           <patmc@xxxxxxxxxx>        |
|         |           Sent by:                  |
|         |           platform-update-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org               |
|         |                                     |
|         |                                     |
|         |           05/20/2002 01:25 PM       |
|         |           Please respond to         |
|         |           platform-update-dev       |
|         |                                     |
|---------+------------------------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                      |
  |        To:      platform-update-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx                                                      |
  |        cc:                                                                                           |
  |        Subject: [platform-update-dev] Update Manager and the Nevada test site                        |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I've seen the entries in the feature definitions for a searchable site:
        <url>
           <update
               url="http://download.eclipse.org/updates";
               label="Eclipse Nevada Test Site">
           </update>
        </url>
I've even tried using them - found two entries, installed one, got an
updated feature and two updated plugins.

Note that the about features dialog gets confused - has no name, icon, or
provider for the feature - just a version.

Question:
Will this update site information remain in the final build of the Eclipse
platform?

If no, good.

If yes, does this mean that you are going to be pushing updated versions of
the platform out on the update site post 2.0 GA?
If yes again, this might be an issue for those that build products on the
platform.
Product teams are expecting to control how updates to the org.eclipse.*
platform occurs (either using an update site or packages that use install
technology to update the product instance. If the platform feature
definitions publish an update site this might disrupt the plans of the
product teams by allowing the platform to change before they are ready with
any required (synchronous) updates to their features.

Comments?

Pat Mc.

Back to the top