RE: [platform-update-dev] working...

Let me add some additional information to Vlad's comments that may also help you out.

*        The eclipse update/install facility was one of the few pieces marked as preliminary in the 1.0 release. By in large most components have a published API and our intent is to be good compatibility citizens.

For more information take a look at the currently posted 2.0 plan for the eclipse project. You can find it: http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/eclipse_project_plan_2_0.html          and in particular look at the section "See compatibility with previous release"

*        With respect to update, it was originally preliminary and we have been working in conjunctions with clients to revise  it. As vlad indicates we are being very transparent & encouraging community comments on the 2.0 spec. You can find it at the link provided by Vlad below.

*        If you are interested in any of the planned work, design proposals etc for a given component you can visit a component's home page. To get to the component home pages:
       - pick projects -in left nav bar

        - pick the eclipse project
        - pick one of platform, jdt or pde
        - then pick the component
        (yes this is a bit many clicks and we will likely improve navigation as soon as we catch our breath<g>)

*        We are definitely interested in people wanting to contribute & work on a component. The best way to ensure the component evolves in a way consistent with your needs is to participate in the design discusssions, and ideally to get involved in code contributions.

klicnik@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: platform-update-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

12/05/01 10:01 AM
Please respond to platform-update-dev